After a few busy days on the road we were excited to arrive at Underneath the Mango Tree and started off our stay in a swim in our own private pool. Trying to make the most of our short stay, we watched the sunset at Underneath the Mango Tree’s private beach and hang out on the hammocks at this romantic Sri Lanka hotel. The next day we woke up before sunrise to start the day off with Yoga, while my friend did boot camp with Underneath the Mango Tree’s trainer. Following this, we stocked up on an amazing buffet to fuel us for the day swinging off Palm Trees and enjoying the amazing beaches of Sri Lanka’s South.
Colombo is a crazy and chaotic place, the busy streets and local street food makes it a stay that satisfies all cultural aspects. However, we were excited to reach Ceilao Villas, a hidden oasis in a big city. The pool area of Ceilao Villas was stunning and we even had fresh coconuts during our stay. Definitely one of the best hotels in Colombo! It also helped that the most amazing desert cafe was down the road, along with a great curry restaurant. We occupied our short time in Colombo by going to the local fruit and vegetable markets along with getting Henna!
FAVOURITE PLACES TO EAT
In most restaurants in Sri Lanka, the tourists are ushered upstairs to eat, where it’s significantly more expensive, whereas the locals will eat downstairs. Simply ask if you can eat downstairs with everyone else and they will be more than happy to accommodate, the food is cheaper and they offer only local dishes. Curries are generally a lunch time food, traditionally the biggest meal of the day. Also try Kottu Roti, it was my favourite!
Kandy – Kandy Muslim Hotel
Ella – Down Town Rotti Hut
Udawalawe – Superson Family Guest
Mirissa – No.1 Dewmini Roti Shop
3 MUST-DO’S IN SRI LANKA:
- Elephant Safari: Go early in the morning around sunrise to have the best chance of seeing a lot of animals. I highly recommend doing a safari rather than the Elephant Orphanage, as this way you can see the animals in the wild.
- Fruit Stalls: The fruit stalls in Sri Lanka are some of the best I’ve ever seen, they take so much pride in the presentation of the fruit. And it will also be the tastiest fruit you will ever have!
- Palm Tree Swing: Dellawela Beach, Unawatuna. Apart from the very cool swing itself, the beach is beautiful and quiet. We came here for sunrise also!
FAVOURITE SPA IN SRI LANKA:
The Sanctuary Spa, Unawatuna– Book at least a day in advance!
MY TOP 3 TRAVEL ESSENTIALS:
- Likewise for every trip, the Lonely Planet guide is easily my biggest travel essential. They provide great, local places to eat and I can always trust their recommendations!
- Sarong- Lightweight to use for a towel, and doubles as a blanket to keep you warm on the plane.
- Camera- This one is a bit obvious haha, but it really is my travel essential.
Why I would come back:
Unique sights, incredible food and friendly people.